To the non OTC professional the acronym AESGP is a difficult concept to link to self care. The Association of the European Self-Care Industry (AESGP) is the voice of the manufacturers of non-prescription medicines, food supplements and self-care medical devices in Europe, also referred to as self-care / consumer healthcare products. They have just launched a new website to fulfill a mission to champion the self care agenda. Some key facts worth re-sharing here are:
- More than 2,000 companies operate in the consumer healthcare sector in Europe, 1,000 of which are small and medium-sized (SMEs). They are affiliated with AESGP directly or indirectly through the 25 national associations.
- 8,5 billion packs of non-prescription medicines and 1,2 billion packs of minerals and vitamins were purchased by Europeans in 2018 with an aim to improve their health and contribute to their wellbeing.
- Ailments that can be managed with self-care products typically include allergies, gastrointestinal disorders, cuts, bites & rashes, cough & cold, pain.
- Almost 1 out of 2 packs of medicines dispensed in European community pharmacies has a non-prescription status.
- Collectively, there are more than 200 active pharmaceutical ingredients (INN) available without prescription in Europe.
As consultants within this space we welcome the opportunity to sign post consumers and companies alike to this resource.
For advice and guidance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org