In November 2018, the Government announced the rescheduling of medicinal cannabis from Schedule 1 to Schedule 2 of the Misuse of Drugs Regulations 2001. Medicinal cannabis can be prescribed by specialist doctors. In the first of its oral evidence sessions, the Health and Social Care Committee hears from academics, campaign groups and clinical representatives.
Tuesday 19 March in the Wilson Room, Portcullis House
- Professor Dame Sally Davies, Chief Medical Officer, UK Government
- Alette Addison, Head of Pharmacy and Regulation, Department for Health and Social Care
- Professor Mike Barnes, Chair, Medical Cannabis Clinicians’ Society
- Peter Carroll, Campaign Director, End Our Pain
- Genevieve Edwards, Director of External Affairs, MS Society
- Professor Helen Cross, Head of Developmental Neurosciences, UCL GOS Institute of Child Health
- Dr Imran Malik, Committee member, Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Professor Sanjay Sisodiya, Chair of the Epilepsy Advisory Group, Association of British Neurologists
Purpose of the session
The session explores the issues around medicinal cannabis, including research into medicinal cannabis, guidance for medical practitioners and the availability of medicinal cannabis.